I usually feel agnostic when it comes to Advent calendars. In my mind they’re synonymous with mini chackies that can be okay, but will likely end up in the bin or junk drawer. NOT IN 2020 because as with everything else, I have this weird change of heart. Maybe I’m striving to appreciate the small things more…or maybe I just want a bottle of wine for 25 straight days, whatever the reason, even an Advent calendar has a place in my home this holiday season. That said, shopping for calendars can be a bit overwhelming so I turned to trusty BuzzFeed (keeper of every list weird and wacky) to curate some of my top picks. Oh bonus, they’re all fun and affordable!
12 bottles of wine, 11 mini nail polishes, 10 festive chocolates… well, you get the point.
1. George & Viv’s 24 Days of Beauty advent calendar, designed to look like an Anthropologie store in NYC to help you get your fill of glamorous products *and* the city during Christmastime.
Review: “This is my third year to purchase this and I am so excited! With COVID money is tight, but I had to have this. Each year I feel like a child again as I open a little box each day. I still remember my grandmother purchasing an advent calendar for me as a child. My husband doesn’t shop for Christmas so its really nice to have little boxed surprises to open for Christmas. Little presents, ‘just for me.’ I am happy I was able to purchase one before they sold out! Merry Christmas! Thank you!” —ASmallTownGirl
Get it from Anthropologie for $72.
2. Bonne Maman’s limited edition advent calendar will perfectly complement your plans to endlessly re-watch Emily in Paris this December.
This stunning calendar comes with an array of mini fruit spreads and honey. Yum!
Review: “I came across this while shopping for advent calendars and since I love Bonne Maman products I figured why not. I truly didn’t anticipate that the packing would be so nice nor did I think they would have such a great variety of products – especially for the price. I ordered a few more and plan on giving these out as gifts with some baked goods. Definitely well worth stocking up on a few of these before they get away.” —ME
Get it from Amazon for $34.99.
3. Diptique’s lavish advent calendar, because you won’t have to buy another candle for the rest of the year — it’s basically an investment.
This calendar is so gorgeous I’d probably have a hard time opening it, TBH. It comes filled with 25 surprises, including full and deluxe sample sizes, and is the perfect way to truly spoil yourself this season.
Get it from Diptique for $425.
4. Olive & June’s first-ever advent calendar as a wonderful gift to yourself *and* and your fingertips this holiday season.
Review: “I am a diehard fan of Olive & June, so snagging this advent calendar pretty much feels inevitable for me. Behind each door is a mini version of their 7-free nail polishes, tools, and other nail accessories.”
Check out the full review of Olive & June’s 7-free nail polish here!
Pre-order it from Olive & June for $50 (ships October 27th).
5. A 12-day advent calendar filled with vintage wines (!!!) that’ll pair nicely with your nightly Hallmark Christmas movie.
Each bottle is about 2.5 servings so this can make for a great bonding experience for you and your roommate.
Get it from QVC for $98 (ships November 30th).
6. A “12 Nights of Wine” advent calendar from Vinebox, perfect for anyone who has missed leisurely sipping fancy vino at classy restaurants and will appreciate recreating the experience at home.
Review: “I received this as a gift from my boyfriend for my birthday. The packaging is fun and I love the booklet that explains about each different kind of wine. Each one tastes great and I can’t wait to get my second box in December!” —Janelle Berry
Get it from Vinebox for $129 (ships October 12).
7. Or a personalized tea advent calendar so aesthetically pleasing you might just want to leave it out on display even longer than your Christmas tree.
You can add any name to the back of the decorative house. The teabags within each pocket are a mix of English breakfast, Earl Grey, and herbal teas.
Get it from letteroom on Etsy for $53.71 (available with or without personalization).
8. A 12 Days of Pour Over Coffee advent calendar from Copper Cow Coffee that’ll help you stay caffeinated during one of the most stressful (and magical) times of year.
The set comes with a variety of coffees for you to taste test as you make your way to Christmas day! It also has an array of delicious creamers for you to add in to your favorite brew.
Get it from Copper Cow Coffee for $69 (shipping around 11/13).
9. A wooden, tree-lined house with drawers for every day of December you can use to create the advent calendar of your dreams — fill it with *whatever* you want.
You can get *really* creative with this one! Fill it with themed items, different kinds of candy, jewelry, silly gadgets ‘n’ gizmos — whatever your heart desires! You can reuse this advent calendar for years to come.
Get it from West Elm for $56.
10. A Lego City advent calendar to channel your inner-child throughout December — and, yes, there is a mini Santa Claus included!
This is also, obviously, a great gift for any of the kiddos in your life.
Review: “Perfect gift for a hard to shop for preteen! My son is almost 9 and I swear he’s getting harder to shop for every year especially with all the video games and electronics. He is genuinely excited for this, loves Legos and much prefers this over the candy advent calendars!” —Shelby Spielbauer
Get it from Amazon for $19.97.
11. A L’Occitane advent calendar designed to resemble a book of myths and legends — so pretty, and your skin will be more than prepared for the harsh winter weather after you make it through all the days!
From lavender hand cream and shea butter soap to essential oil-infused shampoo and conditioner, you’re gonna feel like royalty with each gift reveal.
Review: “I am a huge advocate of L’Occitane products and have used them for years. I couldn’t resist this as a special present to me! I am like a kid impatiently waiting til the next day to open the next advent window. Please make sure this is an annual holiday item!” —BorntoShop
Get it from QVC for $64.
12. A wooden advent calendar you can use for multiple holiday seasons as both a countdown to Christmas *and* a festive village display.
Get it from Anthropologie for $88.
13. A luxurious 25-day calendar you’ll be more than willing to splurge on after discovering there are CANDLES inside.
This splurge-worthy advent calendar is jam packed with goodies! Candles, essential oils, lip balm, shower essentials and more!
Get it from The White Company for $229.
14. Glossybox’s “Reasons to Be Happy” advent calendar, featuring such a chic aesthetic you’ll have zero qualms about leaving it out for all to see.
Filled with beauty treats worth over $550, this may just be the holiday investment you’ve been looking to make. It comes with 19 full-size products and 6 deluxe mini items — there are no spoilers on the website so you’ll actually be surprised each day!
Get it from Glossybox for $99.
15. A popcorn-filled advent calendar you can count on to take your holiday movie binges to the next level — and a tastier one at that!
The set comes with four plastic bowls, a tree-shaped advent calendar, and 24 popcorn-related surprises (kernels, seasonings, recipes).
Get it from QVC for $59.95 (shipping on November 9th).
16. SkinStore’s elegant advent calendar, complete with deluxe size, full size, and travel size products that’ll leave your face looking as good as the New Year’s Eve ball.
Review: “This Holiday edit is a steal for the price! The products are amazing and I just love the serums!! The masks smells so good and leave your skin feeling so refreshed and beautiful.” —Amber
Get it from Skinstore for $150.
17. A customized supplement advent calendar from Goodboy that might actually get your pup excited to snack on vitamins.
All you have to do is select a supplement type (complete care, calming, hip and joint formula, or skin and coat formula), choose your dog’s weight, and let the holiday countdown begin!
Get it from Goodboy for $40+ (shipping on October 26th).
18. A chocolate-filled advent calendar made by Dylan’s Candy Bar so you *know* it’ll satisfy your sweet tooth.
Get it from Dylan’s Candy Bar for $15.
Good luck trying not to skip ahead!
Originally published October 22 on BuzzFeed
by Heather Braga